What: We are a club devoted to numismatics (the study of money), made up of people who enjoy sharing the thrill of the hunt, of discovery, and of learning and sharing about coins of Canada, of the world, and throughout the ages.
When: The Society meets every month, usually on the fourth Monday. Meetings usually attract forty or so of our one hundred members. Meetings generally provide:
• Time for discussion among members
• An educational program (talks, slides, etc.)
• A silent auction
Where: The meetings begin at 7:00 PM in Room 1A of the Benjamin Franklin Place, 101 Centrepointe Drive, Ottawa. There is a half-hour “meet and greet” beforehand. Adequate parking on-site.
Who: Membership is open to all those who are interested in coins, tokens, bank notes, medals, or other related items. Annual dues are $12, and include the club journal, monthly meetings, and an annual banquet.
All are welcome; feel free to drop in and give it a try without obligation!
The Société numismatique d’Ottawa (Ottawa Numismatic Society) was founded in 1891, with renowned numismatic pioneers F.R.E. Campeau as president and F.X. Paquet as treasurer, and at least 14 other members including Thomas Church. It appears that members met informally until after the end of First World War.
In May of 1948, the Ottawa Coin Club (OCC) was created to serve members in the immediate region. Due to the number of people that wished to join from other parts of Canada, it was evident that a national organization was needed. So in January 1950, the OCC formed the Canadian Numismatic Association (CNA) with Major Sheldon Carroll as its first president. The OCC hosted some of the CNA’s earliest annual conventions, in 1955 and 1958.
Numismatics experienced a boom during the 1960s and local growth led to the formation of a second Ottawa club, the Capital City Coin Club (CCCC), in 1962. Both Ottawa clubs jointly hosted the CNA convention in 1967, following which they merged into the City of Ottawa Coin Club (COCC). Since then the COCC has hosted the CNA convention in 1976 and 2000, and has been host to the Ontario Numismatic Association (ONA) annual convention in 1980 and 1998.
As host of the CNA convention in 2008, our club witnessed the transformation of that national body into the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association (RCNA). Not long after, in recognition of both its roots and its members’ diverse numismatic interests, our club decided to rename itself as “The Ottawa Numismatic Society | La Société numismatique d’Ottawa.”